Monday, November 9, 2009

Oh the noise, noise, noise, noise

Going to school in the mountains, I assumed the only noises I would be hearing would be the wind in the trees, leaves rustling on the ground, or maybe even the occasional bear. Basically, natural serenity.
Boy oh boy was I wrong.
The moment I walk out of my dorm, queue BUSES, and LEAF BLOWERS, and SERVICE VEHICLES, and BIDDIES talking on their cell phones.
Today was extraordinarily loud, however. I'm talking a symphony of pollution. Bypassing the leaf blowers in the Village, I came to the cross walk. Then I hear "DING DING...DING DING..." Huh? Is that? No...it's not... really? The Train. I can probably say I attend the only university where the train is a legit excuse for being late to class.
So this train is huffin' and puffin' and it has to be over a mile long. Ten minutes later, the train starts to slow down. It even appears to be STOPPING. It gets some momentum back and lets out a roaring boost of speed. Bye, train.
Finishing my walk to class, service vehicles (orange golf carts) are a putt-putt-putting all over the place. Hey you guys, stop!
Now, my biggest and final ailment are JMU's primary mode of transportation. The buses. Yes, I realize that this system is glorified on the weekend and takes tons of my fellow students to their respective apartments and off-campus dining and shopping. But, really, JMU? If you're going to have twenty buses driving around, get them a decent engine so it won't sound like explosions every time they try to tackle even the smallest incline.

On the bright side, I don't have to listen to the band practice endlessly like my friends in Hillside.